Spink Comhaltas is part of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, which is the largest group involved in the preservation and promotion of Irish traditional music. Comhaltas is a non-profit cultural movement with hundreds of local branches around the world and was founded in 1951. Spink Comhaltas was formed in 1983. 2023 will mark 40 years of Spink promoting traditional Irish music, dance and culture.
We teach traditional Irish music on all instruments:
- tin whistle
- uileann pipes
Our students come from all over Laois, as well as from Kilkenny, Carlow and Kildare.
We are governed by the Constitution of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, and have an elected voluntary management committee, with a formal Annual General Meeting each October.
All of our teachers and committee are Garda Vetted in accordance with the national Child Protection Guidelines laid down by Comhaltas.
- Honorary President: Eileen Reilly
- Chairperson: Una Aylward, Genevieve Bennett
- Vice-Chairperson: Mairead Gleeson
- Secretary: Maria Dunne
- Treasurer: Maeve Hartford
- PRO: Una Aylward
- Irish Officer: Alannah Brennan
- Youth Officer: James O’Mahony
- Auditor: Anne Marie Clooney
- DLP: Kieran Walsh
- Instrument Bank & Funding: Marianne Tierney
- SCT Exams: Linda Donnelly
- Events: Gillian Martin, Marguerite O’Donovan
- Web-site: Mick Brady
Other committee members:
- John Groarke
- Paul Lynch
- Brendan Reilly
- Finula Weston
- Nora Murphy
- Lawrence Vesey